As rodent control professionals, one of the questions we are asked frequently is, “Are your methods safe to use around kids and pets?” As parents and “pet parents” ourselves, we certainly understand the concern. No one wants a pest control solution that’s going to present a significant danger to their loved ones.
Tamper-proof rodent bait stations are a relatively safe solution that most pest companies use to help eliminate mice and rat infestations. Below, we’ll explain what these devices are and the key advantages they offer.
What Are Tamper-Proof Rodent Bait Stations?
Tamper-proof bait stations are lockable containers specially designed to allow rodents inside to eat poisoned bait while denying access to children and non-target animals (like cats and dogs). To be considered officially “tamper-resistant,” bait stations must meet eight strict criteria specified by the EPA.
In summary, tamper-resistant bait stations must:
- Be weather-proof against conditions like snow, rain, and extreme heat
- Be strong enough to keep out forced entry attempts made by dogs and children six years of age and younger
- Be “lockable” or “sealable” to keep out children and non-target animals
- Have rodent entrances that deny entry to bigger animals using the size of the entry hole, mazes, baffles, etc.
- Be able to be anchored so that the bait station can’t be lifted or shaken
- Have internal structures that prevent the bait from spilling out or being tracked out
- Not be bright-colored or otherwise aesthetically pleasing to children
- Be able to show warning statements where they’re easy to see
How Do Tamper-Proof Rodent Bait Stations Work?
A tamper-proof or tamper-resistant rodent bait station works much like any other bait station. A rodent will be attracted to the bait inside of the box. Unfortunately for the rodent, the bait contains rodenticide, which will kill the rodent shortly afterward. The rodent will leave the bait station and most likely return to their nest, where they will die 24 to 48 hours later, depending on the rodenticide used and the amount of bait consumed.
What Are Advantages of Tamper-Proof Rodent Bait Stations?
Tamper-proof or tamper-resistant rodent bait stations offer substantial advantages when dealing with a rodent infestation:
- One station can take out multiple rodents.
- The stations can be used year-round and survive the elements.
- Rodents find bait stations attractive because they offer a dark, enclosed place to hide and eat.
But most importantly, tamper-resistant stations keep dangerous rodenticides away from children and pets. Based on data from the 2017 Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers, nearly 10,000 people ingest rodenticide in the U.S. every year, and over half of those are children ages 5 and younger. Tamper-resistant bait stations and professional, responsible pest control methods are important measures to counteract those heartbreaking numbers.
At Pestex Inc, Your Safety Is Our Top Priority
Are you struggling with a rat or mouse problem in your home? At Pestex Inc, our Boston pest control experts can provide you with a long-term solution and help you win your battle against rodents! Contact us online or call us at (617) 332-3344 today!